Sunday, January 17, 2016


The Oakland Press

Or is it

The Pontiac School District Paper

Or is it

The Pontiac School District Shill

Webster:      Shill: to act as a spokesperson or promoter



As someone who has been a subscriber of the Oakland Press since the day I arrived in Oakland County on January 10, 1977. I’m dismayed and disappointed in the manner they have been, and are, handling the school millage propositions.  I have submitted several Op-ed pieces and “letters to the editor” all of which never get to print.  I’m a good writer, intelligent and thoughtful.  I try to be polite and factual.  But still my voice is not heard. In light of the fact that the voters have rejected millage proposals by the District at least six times, I submit that I speak for the majority of voters. Perhaps the Press doesn’t want the majority voice to be heard.



Ah Ha…..could it be my stance on reorganizing the Pontiac School District?  Although now they’re running around like their hair was on fire telling everyone I’m trying to dissolve the District. Like many issues they just don’t “get it”. There is vast difference between reorganizing, and therefore saving, the District and dissolving the District.



I love a good debate, but when you start playing fast and loose with the facts and putting words in my mouth, I feel compelled to correct the record.  For instance, their latest scare tactic is to tell voters that if the District is dissolved, and again they are the only ones using the “D” word, then children who have opted for schools of choice will no longer have that option. This is just not true.



Could it be because I think it’s a disgrace that the District ever got $57 million in the hole and now claim to be only be $33 million in the ditch, when in reality after 2 years, they are further in the hole than when they started?  


There could be many reasons only one side of the issue is getting printed, so I’m reconciled that all I can do is get my side out as best I can. However, let me leave you with this quote from Thomas Jefferson:

“If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed.”

1 comment:

  1. The Oakland Press has sung the praise of the Pontiac School District for the period of time that I have been following their progress, or lack thereof. This nonsense has gone on for the last 15 years or so at least.

    ReplyDelete